The Stroke Resource RN is responsible for responding to all Code Stroke activations within the ED or in other areas of the hospital. The Stroke Resource RN will work collaboratively with the all hospital staff to coordinate and facilitate optimal and timely care of all stroke patients as guided by the clinical practice guidelines established by the executive committee of the Stroke Institute. This RN acts as the liaison between ED, ICU, PCU, Charge RN, Access Center and physicians to coordinate efficient through put and safe care and is accountable at each part of the process. During the time this RN isn’t facilitating the immediate care of stroke patients during activation, the Stroke Resource RN will round on stroke patients as their primary clinical advocate to insure care in keeping with clinical practice guidelines, particularly for those patients admitted to non-traditional stroke areas, and will available to assist and teach clinical staff in the care of stroke patients as needed. They will act as family liaison in an effort to promote patient family centered care.
Education / Accreditation / Licensure (required & preferred):
• Active RN license in Kentucky required
• Graduate of an accredited baccalaureate program of nursing.
• Master’s degree in healthcare discipline preferred
• BLS (required), ACLS (required), NIHSS certification (required)
• Must maintain and provide requirement of 8 hours each year of stroke education per TJC requirements
• Superior interpersonal skills
• Effective change agent
Experience (required and preferred):
• Minimum of 2 years clinical ICU/ED healthcare experience required
• Minimum of 2 years experience working in area caring for acute stroke patients as a primary patient population