The System Engineer’s role is to install, configure, and manage related servers, data center hardware, and supporting infrastructure. The engineer is responsible for maintain high levels of up-time, as this is a healthcare organization. This individual under direct supervision, maintains the integrity of the hypervisor, virtual machines, and operating systems. The engineer also performs OS updates, server system and/or application software upgrades, and other related systems maintenance. These tasks would include planning and scheduling, testing, and coordinating with other teams in the organization.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinate with network engineering, business application, and database administration teams to implement virtualized server systems that utilize industry best practices to meet corporate objectives.
- Deploy servers, virtual machines, hosts, and application when needed.
- Manage all server operating systems and software.
- Ensure the integrity and security of enterprise data on servers, databases, and storage arrays in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Manage vendor accounts, permissions, and access rights in accordance with best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance as requested by the application owners.
- Perform and test routine system backups and restores.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, resolve, and document hardware and software problems on virtual machines, servers, and converged infrastructure.
- Practice server and application asset management, including maintenance and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Analyze system, server, and application.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software and hardware improvements, upgrades, patches, reconfigurations, and/or purchases.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Create required reports in response to business user needs.
- Develop, document, and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for system administration and appropriate use.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team.
MINIMIUM EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
· Bachelor’s degree in Systems Administration, Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field and 6 years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
· VMware VCAP, Microsoft MCSE, or Cisco DCICT/DCICN/CCNA equivalent is a plus.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills required.
· Must project a professional company image through in-person and phone interactions at all times.
Knowledge & Experience
- Working technical knowledge of network, PC, and platform operating systems, including VMWare, Citrix, AIX and Microsoft.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards, including AD DS, LDAP, FTP, DNS, DHCP,
- Working technical knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory, Group Policy, Cisco UCS, VMware virtualization, Microsoft Windows Server OS, Linux OS, Microsoft O365, BigIP F5, and infrastructure best practices.
- Hands-on software and hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Adept at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals.
- Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas and solutions in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Provide after hours’ operations andon-call support when required.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed