The histotechnician shall have extensive knowledge in processing, mounting, cutting and staining of tissue sections. Work must be organized so that procedures are completed within established turn-around times. Must show good judgment with attention to details as well as respect for patient confidentiality. The histotechnician must work professionally and courteously with physicians, patients, guest and other employees. The employee shall actively support the policies of the laboratory and hospital.
Performs processing, mounting, cutting, staining and coverslipping of tissue samples.
• Performs quality control of area.
• Performs clerical duties including entering data into computers and answering phones.
• Works with histotechnologist to learn special staining techniques.
• Works with others in a professional and courteous manner.
• Assists with frozen section processing and staining.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Training: High School diploma or GED required.
Experience: History working in an anatomic pathology laboratory.
License & Certification: HT certification highly encouraged. ASCP BOC must be obtained within one year of hire.