Collaborates with the Medical Director(s) and Laboratory Director and provides oversight for the technical, fiscal, and administrative operation and the proper performance of all procedures in assigned departments/sections for the clinical and anatomical laboratories. Primary responsibilities include: the development and maintenance of all laboratory policies, procedures, and quality control practices; the oversight of the management and supervision of laboratory technical and clerical staff; administration of the laboratory budget, and the maintenance of good physician and inter-departmental relations. The Manager shall comply with standards and accrediting bodies included but not limited to AABB, CAP, CDC, CLIA, FDA, JCAHO, and HCFA. The Laboratory Manager shall perform all assigned work supporting and following the mission of laboratory and organization. The Manager may be responsible for departments/sections and employees at both Laboratories and must have a thorough knowledge of Pathology; and, shall demonstrate proficiency in the skills and practices of the discipline supervised.
• Ensures that direct reports complete compliance, education, licensure and certification requirements timely.
• Completes and submits all evaluations by due date.
• Rounds effectively and consistently on all staff monthly. Practices AIDET and ensures staff compliance.
• Ensures that accreditation and compliance standards are met for all sections.
• Reviews, investigates, and responds to all monthly management reports.
• Supports and meets the goals of the Hospital, Laboratory, and University.
• Ensures that all laboratory functions are consistent with Hospital Compliance guidelines. Maintains laboratory CDM including CPT’s, Revenue Codes, Insurance Codes and Pricing. Ensures that all questionable test orders are reviewed for medical necessity and appropriateness.
• Attends daily Hospital Safety Huddles and leads daily Laboratory Safety Huddles.
• Monitors, trends, and reports all Quality Improvement indicators and Focus Studies timely. Recommends and implements improvements necessary to achieve operational goals and to improve patient outcomes. Monitors quality control and proficiency testing for section supervised.
• Supports and participates in Nursing and Medical Staff committees as needed. Active participation and engagement are required.
• Monitors internal and external customer service data and trends. Provides direction to staff on issues that impact patient care, satisfaction, and customer service. Develops section strategies to improve customer service. Consistently and proactively rounds on external customers. Attends Patient Service Excellence meetings and develops section strategies to improve customer service; ongoing action plan.
• Assists in development of budget(s) and monitors, and meets budget expectations for assigned cost centers, documenting any variances. Develops annual capital and operating budget for section supervised with input from Medical Director(s). Identifies opportunities for and implements operational efficiencies to save cost for organization.
• Monitors employee satisfaction. Develops section strategies to improve employee satisfaction and retain employees.
• Oversees that payroll and the documentation of attendance and tardiness is done to HR Standards.
• Creates a culture of teamwork. Establishes and leads effective work groups and teams.
• Communicates to staff consistently - Shift Logs, Emails, Section meetings, Bulletin Board and huddles
• Provides oversight to all procedures within the department as defined in the Procedure Manuals.
• Monitors staff to ensure appropriate levels and skill mix while meeting productivity targets. Actively reaches out to benchmark facilities to achieve best practice.
• Demonstrates expertise in all area of responsibility and stays up-to-date with key trends and opportunities, particularly in area of responsibility.
• Completes Request for Positions
• Requests IT access for new staff (and contract staff)
• Review, resolve, and respond to incident reports timely; IRIS, PSN
• Other duties as assigned.
Education & Training: Bachelor's degree in Histotechnology. MBA preferred.
Experience:3 years of leadership experience. 5 years of experience in Histology and Pathology.
License & Certification: ASCP certification required.